The last two months were pretty eventful, writing-wise, which is why this blog is overdue for an update!
May is an easy month to recap. After being selected as a finalist in #FicFest (a new writing contest run by Tiffany Hofmann), I was paired with an awesome mentor, Layla Reyne, who helped me turn around a full revision pass and line edits in record time. The word count fluctuated wildly but as a result it’s a tighter manuscript and I have a longer list of words I tend to overuse.
I did hit a couple setbacks. As soon as I got my first developmental edits letter, I caught a cold. I don’t get sick often and the timing couldn’t have been more frustrating. In hindsight, though, that week allowed me extra time to process the suggestions and prep the manuscript for revisions.
After finishing Venus (again), I was back in the “what do I work on?” quandry. I went back to the drawing board with the paranormal romance series and attempted to work on a series outline. Remember grade school book reports? Yeah, I took it that far back. Using a giant drawing pad and Crayola markers in lots of colors, I mapped out everything I used to have to include in a book report.
- Beginning, Middle, End
- Turning Point
Around the time when that got really frustrating, I found out about an opportunity to submit a proposal to a romance publisher. I pulled out one of the many story ideas I have sitting in the Notes app on my phone and set to work fleshing it out. In a week’s time, I had the premise, main characters and backstory, a full cast of side characters, a Pinterest board, and a 40-beat long outline. By the end of June, I had written a query letter (that I’m pretty freaking proud of), a 3-page synopsis, and the first 3 chapters (just over 10,000 words). I’m calling it Project Stone Cold.
July is Camp NaNoWriMo. I’m doing some traveling, so we’ll see how it goes, but I also have a writing retreat at the end of the month. I typically do best during NaNo months when I’m writing new words as opposed to revising, so I’m aiming to knock out Project Stone Cold by the end of the month. I listed 30,000 words as my goal on the site, but I’m hoping for more.